Once upon a time, a couple of weary travelers, winding their way up and down the Pacific Northwest stopped to whet their whistle with a local brew at the Nikasi Brewery in Eugene, Oregon. There wasn’t a thing to eat but a few bags of popcorn for sale and so the passers-through indulged. And indulged. And indulged.
It was called Masala Pop, a gluten-free, non-gmo, consciously-crafted snack made in Portland. You can buy a bag here, or you can roll like “the travelers” and make it for yourself. It’s an absolute must try and it couldn’t be less complicated.
- ¾ cup popcorn kernels
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp tumeric
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- Pop the popcorn using whatever method you prefer and set aside.
- combine all spices and brown sugar in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the spice mixture and stir for five minutes.
- Pour the spiced butter over the popcorn and enjoy!